Communication and Public Relations
A look at the different mediums of communication and public relations. You will study the methods and obstacles of communication. How to communicate to different authorities.
50 Questions You will probably See on the Test
Questions and answers for the Security Guard test
This post content will consist of questions and answers to those questions. This content will allow prospective students to practice their knowledge of security operations and afford them to prepare for their state-mandated classes and tests. This blog is general and job-specific. Feel free to study this information and submit questions. The security officer is regulated by the different states and has different rules for qualification and licensing. These questions here apply to all security guard/officer personnel. Studying these questions will give any prospecting student a jump-start to security training.
1. The security guard is hired by the State in which they live.
This is False. The security guard is hired by a security company or is hired directly by a client. The security guard in most states is regulated by that State. They are hired by private companies and some gov't agencies.
2. Reports are written to inform the client of incidents that occur on their property and are not allowed in court.
This is False. Reports that are made by security personnel are considered legal documents and may be used in court. Reports are made to communicate information to the Client, Police, and the security guard's employer.
3. Security guards and police have the same powers of authority.
This is False. Security guards have the same powers as a citizen. No More No Less Police are given their powers by the State and Constitution
4. What are the first ten amendments of the Constitution called?
"The Bill Of Rights"
5. The first thing a security guard should do when they come upon fire is to run.
This is False. The first thing security should do when they come upon fire is to "Sound the Alarm". Follow the Emergency Prepared Plan. Know what is expected of the security guard in case of fire.
6. What are the 7 essentials of report writing?
Who, What, Where, When, How, Action was taken, and Why. We don't always know, Why?. Who did it? Who was present? Who is the victim? Who is the witness? What happened? What was the cause? What time did the incident occur? What hospital is the victim going to? Where did it occur? On client property or off client property Where is the victim/perpetrator? How did it happen? How is your client affected? How will you handle this? How will you get help? Explain your Action taken; Who did you notify? Police? Ambulance? Fire Dept.? Boss/Supervisor, Client Why did this happen? That question may not be answerable.
7. What are the 3 elements you need for a fire? Oxygen, Fuel, Heat
8. What is the basic barrier to communication? Failure to Listen
9. How well you communicate will reflect on you as a professional? True
10. What are the senses that we use on patrol?
Hearing, Sight, Touch, Smell NEVER Taste. That's in Hollywood.
11. What are the three techniques to patrol?
Stop, Look, Listen
12. The process that identifies threats and determines probability and criticality factors is known as?
Threat Assessment- An organizational plan to identify possible threats and then implement means to mitigate and counter threats.
13. Being present and visible will not deter criminals?
False. Being present and visible will deter a bad guy if he thinks you are going to report him.
14. When you write reports you always know who will read them?
False. You never really know where your reports may end up.
15. The security guard should never get the names of people when writing a report?
Always get a name. Always get the name of that person you spoke to on the phone.
16. The area around a fence which makes intruders visible is called?
17. Crime happens when three elements come together.
Skill, Desire, Opportunity
18. What are the three classifications of a fire that security and many other people deal with? A, B, C
A fire is wood, paper, cloth, rubbish, and trash
B fire is flammable liquids, gasoline, oils, grease
C fire is Electrical, anything having a current
19. What are the five life and death situations?
Bleeding, Shock, Stopped heart, Stopped breathing, poison or illness. (Get First Aid Certified)
20. The Good Samaritan Act will protect a citizen from Personal Liability when giving aid to a victim?
TRUE. Society wants people to help each other out. Only give aid matching your skills and training. Call 911
21. A security guard is required to render first aid in an emergency.
The answer is a security guard is Not required to render aid. ( I will tell you right now, watching a person who is injured and not being able to help is a sucky feeling) Get Trained
22. The OS&Y valve is the main source of water in your sprinkler system.
TRUE It should be in the open position at All times except when inspected
23. What is the crime of taking or possessing the property of another with the intent to deprive that person of said property? THEFT
24. What is the cardinal rule all security personnel must adhere to? COMPANY POLICY
25. Vicarious Liability means being directly responsible for the actions of someone else.
TRUE When you and/or your business are held financially responsible for the actions of another person or party. You are sued over mistakes made by an employee, contractor, or agent of said business.
26. The authority that gives a Merchant the right to detain suspected thieves is called? MERCHANTS PRIVILEGE
27. Negligence is the failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another. TRUE
28. What is the 4th Amendment of the Constitution?
The 4th amendment deals with "illegal search and seizure"
29. A MISDEMEANOR is punishable by up to 5 years in prison.
FALSE. A misdemeanor is pushable up to 1 yr no less than 15 days
30. A FELONY is punishable by more than a year in prison. TRUE
31. A security officer can use as much force as he/she wants when detaining a person.
FALSE. Security can use force to effect an arrest, but the force must be reasonable and consistent with the force used against the officer. You can't punch someone in the nose to stop them from stealing. The force also has to follow the clients' policy. If the policy says don't, arrest, stop, detain anyone and you do, you will be negligent and subject to court proceedings. You go to jail. FOLLOW COMPANY POLICY
32. What is the legal term for an employer being responsible for his/her employees' actions in a civil case?
RESPONDEAT SUPERIOR - The general rule is that an employer is responsible for the negligent acts or omissions of its employee.
33. Staying calm when dealing with angry people will help calm them down. This is TRUE most of the time.
34. When writing reports it is ok to put opinions.?
FALSE Only put the facts of what you know. Don't embellish, no slang, no cursing unless you are quoting someone.
35. When you see a fire alarm with a white line going from top left to bottom right, what does this mean?
It means that the signal does not go straight to the fire department. It will go to a service station like ADT or Sholmons. Know which ones you have and how to use them.
36. Security officers can stop anyone and question them anywhere and anytime?
FALSE. A security officer may only question people on client property. Once you leave the property you don't have any authority.
37. Security Officers will have to go to court and testify sometimes. What is the key to a solid courtroom testimony?
Preparation, Appearance, and Attitude. When you go to court you want to look like you are a professional. You make sure your uniform or suit is clean and sharp. You bring all paperwork about the incident to refresh your memory. Be confident and always tell the TRUTH.
38. Communication is the process of exchanging information between the sender and receiver.?
TRUE There are three components to the process of communication. Sender, Receiver, and feedback. The receiver of the message acknowledges the message by nodding their head or saying yes or no. That is the feedback, the acknowledgment.
39. How do humans communicate?
Verbal, Non-verbal, Writing - speaking, American Sign Language, letters/emails, body gestures, facial expressions
40. To be an effective communicator, a security officer must be a good listener.?
This is TRUE. There will be times when little Ms. Magilacutty will want to talk while you are working. Be a good listener. Give her a minute and explain that it was wonderful to speak to her but you have to get back to your post. She will appreciate it and you gained respect for your authority.
41. The goals of emergency management are to save lives, prevent injury, and protect property and the environment.? This is TRUE
42. Hazardous materials can be found where?
All buildings have hazardous materials. The larger the complex the more materials. We have hazardous materials in our homes. KNOW where they are stored in your facility. VERY IMPORTANT. When the Chief of the F.D. asks where are the materials and how are they stored, you need to have an answer.
43. What does R.A.I.N. mean?
Recognize that an incident is occurring.
Avoid becoming a casualty.
Isolate the area to prevent others from entering and becoming a victim.
Notify the proper authorities.
44. Probable cause is the standard of poof a security officer needs to make an arrest.? What will that probable cause be?
You saw it, you were present. A security officer has the same arrest powers as any other citizen and must have seen the offense being committed
45. The use of Deadly Physical Force is justified when?
After having no way to escape, a person is justified in using deadly physical force when Deadly force is being used against them or a third party.
46. The main role of a security officer is?
Observe and Report. Get all information from everyone on the scene. Always get names even when on the phone. Try to get the best description and direction of flight.
47. Intentionally touching someone in a non-consensual unprivileged way is?
Battery/Assault depending on State wording
48. Who does the security officer deal with?
Employees, visitors, telephone calls, emergency workers, and the Media(NO Comment)
49. Security officers are legally required to follow the guidelines of their employer. What is this called?
50. The government and security industry guard against three types of Crimes.
Terrorism, espionage, and sabotage
Many more questions will be placed into pt 2 of the Questions You will probably see on the Test.